Thursday, January 27, 2011

New Job and Rails

Well, I started my new job earlier this month and it's going quite well. Unfortunately, the hours suck as I have to be out of town a few days a week and it's a bit of a trip. However, this is definitely an environment where we get stuff done without a lot of overhead. And I actually get to learn new technology!

Speaking of which, I've been learning how to develop web sites using Ruby on Rails. The Ruby part is fine, however I'm not sure what I think of Rails yet. The nice parts about it is that you don't write a lot of code and it does help by generating some of the code and HTML for you. However, it's rigidity, which is supposed to make things easier, can make things quite a pain. For example, I made a mistake with the scaffolding, tried to fix it, however there's some "magic" in the background that prevented me from fixing it. I had to recreate the entire project from scratch to fix it. Needless to say, I have decided that I have to think very carefully before I have it generate any code.

Another annoyance is the templating. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I'm a firm believer that there should be a clear separation of the code and the template. If you look at Template::Recall, that provides a very clear separation of the two. With Rails, you have code embedded in your template and, to me, that's not ideal as you still have a mix of HTML and code together. Isn't that one of the things that people complained about with PHP?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home