Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Re-invention of basic algorithms and quick status update.

First, I read the following article today and found it very interesting and I feel it's one everyone should read: You're Doing It Wrong. After reading it and on my way home from work, it hit me that this is actually a bit bigger than the writer thought it would be. What I realized was that we need to re-invent our basic algorithms periodically to work better with modern systems. This article looks at the difference taking virtual memory into account can make, but we also have multicore systems all over the place and they're not going away. Being able to take advantage of these systems requires that we adapt our algorithms to better work with them.

Please read the article to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

Second, I haven't worked much on the logger or ubackup of late, but I'm hoping that will change. The first issue was the way I was handling data and threads in the logger sucked. I apparently missed something in my understanding of basic threads in D and it bit me. So, I'm going to try to rework it so that it uses the new std.concurrency library that uses message passing, so that should prevent that issue from happening in the future. Part of this will be allowing a user of the library to use their own custom log writer. As for ubackup, the only change is I renamed it to ulbackup (unix-like backup). Another project on launchpad had a similar project that was named differently except on the command-line, so since they were very nice about it, I changed the name. That and it was no big deal.

Anyway, here's to hoping I make some progress on these soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home