Friday, April 16, 2010

Windows 7

Well, I finally got upgraded at work and I have to say that for the most part, it's not bad. Of course, this started out a little rough as the first thing it did while upgrading is delete every bloody file it didn't recognize. It was really disconcerting how destructive the update was. Thankfully I had all of my files backed up using Bazaar, which was a real lifesaver.

What else went bad? Well, with regards to the "improved stability" of the operating system, my laptop blue-screened twice the first day. Um...yeah. So far, it looks like a fluke as it hasn't done it again.

Now, for the nice: it looks like the OS is right where it's supposed to be performance wise...about 10 years too late. Granted, I turned off most of the effects by switching to the classic theme (E.g. Windows 95-XP), so I don't get the pretty hover effects and what not, but I prefer responsiveness over flashiness. Overall, the UI did improve for the most part, however I'm not sure how much I like the "Pin to taskbar" vs. the old taskbar where you could have quick-launch icons.

Well, what can you do. I'm just thankful that so far all I need to do my job is compatible with the new OS. Of course, most of what I've re-installed so far are PortableApps, so that makes a difference. The only thing I haven't re-installed yet is the Oracle client software and that's the only thing that I'm worried about right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home