Friday, April 16, 2010

Launchpad

Well, I finally did it. I set up a Launchpad account and I currently have two projects on it. The first is just various experiments that I've been trying to work on from time to time. It's mainly there as a backup, however I figure if anything good comes from it, I can put it in it's own project and there will still be the full history, though not directly linked.

The second project is what I'm calling ubackup. It's nothing big, just a simple little backup program that leverages other software to handle the compression and data integrity. I originally wrote a version in Erlang just because I wanted to play with the concurrency a little bit. However, I realized very quickly that it wasn't the best solution as once you remove the Erlang VM, it doesn't work anymore and it bit me just before I was upgraded. I use freearc for the data compression to take a directory and compress it to a temp directory. From there, it will copy the compressed archive to a shared area.

Granted, this is not a perfect backup solution, but it's what I wanted and I figured that it would be useful for others. Now, what I did do was set it up to use a config file to handle what commands are used to perform the compression and the final copying. This way, if you have your preferred compression util and a different system for storing the compressed file elsewhere, you can do it.

The current version will be written using the D Programming Language and will be using two threads: one to compress and one to copy. This worked well with the Erlang version and I wanted to do the same in this version. Now I just have to find the time to get it working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home