Saturday, October 24, 2009

Open Source Voting

I'm a little behind on things I want to blog about, but I wanted to get this post out quickly. It looks like there's more interest in Open Source Voting now. This is a great step forward in having the voting system be completely transparent.

The system uses Ruby on Rails for the software. While this wouldn't have been my choice, it's still a good choice due to it allow the developers to quickly implement the software and if any bugs come up, they can quickly fix them. Personally, I think I would have used a language better suited for reliable programming, like Erlang or, depending on how the UI is implemented, Haskell or the D Programming Language. This isn't to say that you couldn't make very reliable software with Ruby because people have done it successfully with C on numerous occasions. These languages just provide more built-in features to ensure reliability.

All in all, a good step forward.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home