Tuesday, July 07, 2009

We need MySQL/Drizzle

Yes, I said it. We need them. I came to this realization yesterday when I saw an article about TokuDB and how it apparently can save you money by being energy efficient. The premise is simple: fewer disks seeks = less energy used.

This type of development is just cool and I don't see it with any other product. This not to say that PostgreSQL and Firebird aren't cool. MySQL and Drizzle just provide opportunities to do some very cool things due to the fact they're both very modular. If we didn't have them, I think the DB world would be more boring. I just hope we can get to the state where we can have a lot of the nice features that a PostgreSQL or Oracle have and still have the flexibility of a MySQL or Drizzle.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home