Wednesday, June 03, 2009

D vs. Perl Development

This really isn't an analysis of the two languages. This is more an analysis of my efforts rewriting a program in D that was originally created in Perl.

So, what's the verdict then? It's taking longer, but not for the reasons you may think. Part of it is obvious: I've had to write code that already existed on CPAN and I'm having to do it again, but that's not the interesting part. The main reason it's taking longer is because I'm writing unit tests to check as much code as possible. I didn't do it with the Perl version since it was written quickly, but now I'm forcing myself to do it. It's paying off, but it's killing my dev time. As much as I know I should keep following this pattern, I'm just itching to get this done.

The good news: I have some proof that my code is rock-solid :-)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home