Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Converting Geosptial Coordinates

Well, I've been focusing on Haskell of late mainly because there's more for me to learn. As I believe I stated before, D is similar to what I've learned before, so it's easier for me to pick up. On the other hand, I've been spending more time getting used to the way Haskell works.

One thing that I'm itching to do is create a useful little program right now. I just read several sections in Haskell book/tutorial on wikibooks and at least one other tutorial, so I think I know almost as much as I need to know. The problem was, what type of program to create.

At work, we're dealing with some geospatial data and the one thing I learned yesterday was how coordinates are represented in some grid-based coordinate systems. During the research we were doing, the guy I'm working with found a link with a number of formulas for converting between the different coordinate systems. Score! I can make a small app that reads from stdin, converts a list of values from one coordinate system to another, and outputs them to stdout. This way, data can be piped through easily.

I know this isn't the most useful app, but it seems like just the kind of thing I would want to do in a language like Haskell since we want it to work right every single time without fail. Now I just have to define the input/output formats and see how much I like Text.printf :-)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Hi there, I just thought I would drop a note to invite you to the IRC channel on freenode.net---a friendly place full of encouraging people who like answering questions about Haskell, and a great place to learn. I hope your coordinate-conversion application turns out well!

4:27 AM  
Blogger blockcipher said...

Thanks! So far I've been able to figure everything out, but I'll definitely keep it in mind if I get stuck.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home