Friday, August 31, 2007

Who's right when it comes to version control?

There's been a bit of discussion about who's tools can piss the furthest...I mean, who's tool is the better version control tool. The discussion is mainly between Subversion and Git and which method is right. Subversion relies on a centralized repository. Git is a distributed system.

So, which is better? I say both are good.

Here's my thinking. First, it depends on the organization which fits in better with their business model. A distributed system may not be what the organization wants. Second, they're both good tools, though neither is perfect. Git is better than Subversion for things like branching and merging, however I really like Subversion's diff algorithm and the fact it stores diff's instead of snapshots. Git also doesn't have a hoard of annoying little hidden subdirectories strewn throughout your directory structure. However, Subversion has several good GUI tools that make it much easier for people to use, assuming they're not willing to use the command line. TortoiseSVN is a great tools for Windows users.

I've used both and I like both. Git, I think, is a bit easier to use, but there's nothing wrong with Subversion. In the end, it's what works best for you.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home