Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Well, since I off-loaded the associative database, I managed to get more work done on another project of mine. Because of the dynamic nature of a project I worked on, and the fact I absolutely hated working with Fusebox, I created a something akin to a framework for PHP. I had three goals in mind when I created it:

  1. Easy to add additional pages in a minimal amount of time.

  2. Low processing overhead.

  3. Don't force the user into a method of development they don't want to use.

To elaborate a bit, to make it easy to add more pages I took advantage of the ability to load classes dynamically. This way I can simply create a new page without having to modify any other files and all I have to do to use it is link to it. Also, the main file, index.php, is very minimal in terms of functionality, so it's very light-weight compared to other.

As for not forcing the user into a method of development, I kind-of lied. I do force you to organize your pages into subdirectories, but outside of that, there's not much that I force you to do. I do have my own way of doing things, but you don't necessarily have to do it the same way. I find that I prefer to build the structure of the HTML first and then insert the content into it. String replace works nice for this. I find that if I get the document structure down first, then I can more easily get a good HTML doc built.

Well, that's all for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home