Monday, March 05, 2007

Things software engineers should learn...

Every once in a while I think of what I know now and what I learned in college and every once in a while I see some discrepancies.

Here are some things that I thought of that I think should be taught as part of a CS course.

  1. Version Control. I don't care what tool is used, just to learn and understand the concepts I think would be valuable.

  2. Basic software engineering. Things like project plans, requirements, design, life cycle models. I'm not looking at anything too in depth. Just enough to give them an understanding of what's going on.

  3. Vi/Vim. I know that there are a lot of people will probably balk at this, however it's a very useful tool and it is one of the few editors/IDE's that exists by default on many different platforms. Even if the students can't use it very well, it's good to at least be able to changes to a file.

  4. Scripting vs. compiled languages. How are they different? When are the best used? How can they be combined? I've personally come to like scripting languages a lot, however I do understand where they're not the best tool for the job.


That's all I have for now. I'm sure I'm short a few things, but I just can't think of what they are right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home