Friday, February 02, 2007

Spoke too soon?

After a bit of thought, I came to the realization I spoke too soon. What came to my head this morning is the question "Why do people want multi-master replication?" This is where the problem with my previous idea comes to play because wouldn't improve insert/update performance whereas real multi-master replication would. At least that's what I'm assuming based on how I understand it working.

So, does this mean that my idea is worthless? No, I don't think so. If you have an application with a high percentage of reads, it may be worthwhile to have each client connect to a replicated server instead of the central server for updates.

Now granted, I don't know the performance characteristics about my previous idea, however I'm going to safely guess that if I have 10 replicated servers and I use federated tables for inserts, I'm can bog down the central server. Not exactly a scenario we want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home